I didn't manuscript yesterday. I'm still working on my approach. But here are six things I shared with our congregation yesterday, heavily influenced by the book How People Change, as well as our recent C-Group study on idolatry.
- We are all one of two kinds of trees: biblically, apart from grace, we're bad trees.
- Our tree is determined by our root: our hearts make us who we are.
- Our root is tested by our heat: our circumstances, particularly difficult ones, or heat, test us and refine us. (Note: our therapeutic culture tells us the CAUSE is outside of us)
- Our heat results in certain fruit: trials bring out our true colors, particularly in our words
- Our fruit displays the type of our tree: we should examine ourselves (2 Cor. 13:5) and others (Mt. 7:15-20).
- Our tree can be transformed by the cross: we need the New Covenant promise of new hearts that produce new fruit (Note: our therapeutic culture tells us that the CURE is found inside us)