Theology Weekend is just a few days away. In anticipation of the weekend, posted below is Tom's bio from the Southern Seminary website, along with a list of the books and articles he has authored. He is one of the foremost evangelical Paul scholars in the world. Be sure to join us as we consider the person and work of Christ this coming weekend with Tom!
Thomas R. Schreiner
James Buchanan Harrison Professor of New Testament Interpretation (1997); Associate Dean, Scripture and InterpretationE-mail: email@example.com
- B.S., Western Oregon University
- M.Div., Th.M., Western Conservative Baptist Seminary
- Ph.D., Fuller Theological Seminary
Dr. Schreiner joined the Southern Seminary faculty in 1997 after serving 11 years on the faculty at Bethel Theological Seminary. He also taught New Testament at Azusa Pacific University. Dr. Schreiner, a Pauline scholar, is the author or editor of several books including, Romans, the Baker Exegetical Commentary Series on the New Testament; Interpreting the Pauline Letters; The Law and Its Fulfillment: A Pauline Theology of Law; The Race Set Before Us: A Biblical Theology of Perseverance and Assurance; Still Sovereign: Contemporary Perspectives of Election, Foreknowledge, and Grace, co-edited with Bruce A. Ware; Women in the Church: A Fresh Analysis of I Timothy 2:9-15; Paul, Apostle of God’s Glory in Christ: A Pauline Theology, 1 and 2 Peter, Jude.
- Believer's Baptism: Sign of the New Covenant in Christ (co-edited with Shawn Wright)
- Romans in the Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament Series
- 1 and 2 Peter and Jude in the New American Commentary Series
- Interpreting the Pauline Letters
- The Law and Its Fulfillment: A Pauline Theology of Law
- The Grace of God, The Bondage of the Will (a two-volume set which he co-edited with Bruce A. Ware)
- Still Sovereign
- Women in the Church: A Fresh Analysis of 1 Timothy 2:9-15, revised edition
- The Race Set Before Us: A Biblical Theology of Perseverance and Assurance
- Paul Apostle of God's Glory in Christ: A Pauline Theology
- "Loving One Another Fulfills the Law: Romans 13:8-10." SBJT 11 (2007): 104-109.
- "Interview on Baptism with Justin Taylor." (2007)
- "A New Perspective on Homosexuality." Themelios 31 (2006) 62-75. A slight revision of the article that appeared in Themelios.
- "Life after the Damascus Road." Tabletalk 30.7 (July 2006): 8-11.
- "Preaching and Biblical Theology." SBJT 10 (2006): 20-29.
- "William J. Webb's Slaves, Women & Homosexuals: A Review Article." SBJT 6 (2002): 46-64.
- "Interpreting the Pauline Epistles." SBJT 3 (1999): 4-21.
- "Reading Romans Theologically: A Review Article." The Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 41 (1998): 641-650.
- "Perseverance and Assurance: A Survey and a Proposal." SBJT 2 (1998): 32-62.
- "Did Paul Believe in Justification by Works? Another Look at Romans 2." Bulletin for Biblical Research 3 (1993) 131-158. Used by permission.
- "Paul's View of the Law in Romans 10:4-5." Westminster Theological Journal 55 (1993): 113-135. Used by permission.
- "'Works of Law' in Paul." Novum Testamentum 33 (1991): 217-244. Used by permission.
- "Israel's Failure to Attain Righteousness in Romans 9:30-10:3." Trinity Journal 12 (1991): 209-220. Used by permission.
- "The Valuable Ministries of Women in the Context of Male Leadership among God's People" in Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood. Edited by W. Grudem & J. Piper; Westchester, IL; Crossway, 1991, pp. 209-224, 503-506, by Thomas R. Schreiner is taken from Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood edited by John Piper and Wayne Grudem © 1991. Used by permission of Crossway Books, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers, Wheaton, IL 60187, www.crossway.com. Download for personal use only.
- "1 Corinthians 11:2-16: Head Coverings, Prophecies, and the Trinity," in Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood. Edited by W. Grudem & J. Piper. Westchester, IL; Crossway, 1991, pp. 124-139, 485-487, by Thomas R. Schreiner is taken from Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood edited by John Piper and Wayne Grudem © 1991. Used by permission of Crossway Books, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers, Wheaton, IL 60187, www.crossway.com. Download for personal use only.
- "Diagramming and Conducting a Grammatical Analysis," in Interpreting the Pauline Epistles (Grand Rapids: Baker, 1990), 77-96. Non-exclusive, one-time permission is granted to use this chapter, excluding any permission of a third source. The permission applies to this usage only. Baker Academic, a division of Baker Publishing Group, copyright 1990.
- "Tracing the Argument," in Interpreting the Pauline Epistles (Grand Rapids: Baker, 1990), 97-126. Non-exclusive, one-time permission is granted to use this chapter, excluding any permission of a third source. The permission applies to this usage only. Baker Academic, a division of Baker Publishing Group, copyright 1990.
- "The Abolition and Fulfillment of the Law in Paul." Journal for the Study of the New Testament 35 (1989): 47-74. Used by permission of Sage Publishing.
- "Paul and Perfect Obedience to the Law: An Evaluation of the View of E. P. Sanders," Westminster Theological Journal 47 (1985): 245-278.
- "Is Perfect Obedience to the Law Possible? A Re-examination of Galatians 3:10," The Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 27 (1984): 151-160.
- "The Church as the New Israel and the Future of Ethnic Israel in Paul." Studia Biblica et Theologica 13 (1983): 17-38.
- "Does Regeneration Necessarily Precede Conversion?" (9 Marks website)
- Study on the Greater Works in John 14:12 (unpublished)
- "My God and Their God" (unpublished article on Open Theism)
- Questions and Answers
- "Interpreting Romans 4:1-8: The Theological and Exegetical Contribution of Psalm 32." A paper presented at the 2002 Evangelical Theological Society in Toronto
- "Pauline Theology of Law: Did Luther Get It Right?" A paper presented at the Fifth Annual Theological Symposium at Concordia Seminary, St. Louis on May 3, 1995
- "The Fulfillment of the Law." A paper presented at the Evangelical Theological Society Meeting in the early 1990s
- Review of Larry W. Hurtado, Lord Jesus Christ: Devotion to Jesus in Earliest Christianity. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2003. SBJT 9 (2005): 100-101.
- Review of A Reader's Greek New Testament. eds. Richard J. Goodrich and Albert L. Lukaszewski. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2003. SBJT 9 (2005): 82.
- Review of Kent L. Yinger, Paul, Judaism, and Judgment according to Deeds. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1999. The Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 43 (2000): 137-139.
- Review of Bruce W. Winter, Philo and Paul Among the Sophists. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1997. Trinity Journal 19 (1998): 246-249.
- Review of Michael Winger, By What Law? The Meaning of Nomos in the Letters of Paul. Atlanta: Scholars, 1992. The Journal of Biblical Literature 112 (1993): 724-726.
- Review of Tom Wells and Fred Zaspel, New Covenant Theology: Description, Definition, Defense. Frederick, Maryland: New Covenant Media, 2002. SBJT 4 (2003): 94-96.
- Review of Edward William Fudge & Robert A. Peterson, Two Views of Hell: A Biblical & Theological Dialogue. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2000. SBJT 7 (2003): 87-88.
- Review of Charles H. H. Scobie, The Ways of Our God: An Approach to Biblical Theology. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2003. SBJT 8 (2004): 112-113.
- Review of Sang-Won (Aaron) Son, Corporate Elements in Pauline Anthropology: A Study of Selected Terms, Idioms, and Concepts in the Light of Paul's Usage and Background. Rome: Pontifical Biblical Institute, 2001. Trinity Journal (2003): 137-139.
- Review of Frank Thielman, Paul and the Law: A Contextual Approach. Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 1994. Trinity Journal 6 (1995): 101-104.
- Review of The Complexities of Second Temple Judaism. Vol. 1 of Justification and Variegated Nomism. Eds. D. A. Carson, P. T. O'Brien, and M. A. Seifrid. Tübingen/Grand Rapids: Mohr Siebeck/Baker, 2001. SBJT 6 (2002): 81-83.
- Review of Scott J. Hafemann, Paul, Moses, and the History of Israel: The Letter/Spirit Contrast and the Argument from Scripture in 2 Corinthians 3. Tübingen: Mohr, 1995. The Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 41 (1998): 493-496.
- Review of Biblical Theology: Retrospect & Prospect. Ed. S. J. Hafemann. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2002. Bulletin for Biblical Research 14 (2004): 286-288.
- Review of Colin G. Kruse, Paul, the Law, and Justification. Peabody.: Hendrickson, 1997. The Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 42 (1999): 511-513.
- Review of Christoph Heil, Die Ablehnung der Speisegebote durch Paulus: Zur Frage nach der Stellung des Apostels zum Gesetz. Weinheim: Beltz Athenäum, 1994. Critical Review of Books in Religion 9 (1996): 227-229.
- Review of Arland J. Hultgren, The Parables of Jesus: A Commentary. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2000. SBJT 7 (2003): 89-90.
- Review of Two Views on Women in Ministry, in Journal of Biblical Manhood and Womanhood 6 (2001): 24-30.
- Review of 'Praying and Prophesying in the Assemblies: 1 Corinthians 11:2-16' (ch 8) by Gordon D. Fee, Journal of Biblical Manhood and Womanhood 10 (2005): 17-21.
- Review of The Forgotten God: Perspectives in Biblical Theology. Eds. A. A. Das and F. J. Matera. Louisville: Westminster John Knox, 2002. SBJT 7 (2003): 81-83.
- Review of Paul N. Anderson, The Christology of the Fourth Gospel: Its Unity and Disunity in the Light of John 6. Tübingen: Mohr, 1996. SBJT 5 (2001): 110-112.
- Review of Clinton E. Arnold., The Colossian Syncretism: The Interface between Christianity and Folk Belief at Colossae. Grand Rapids: Baker, 1996. Trinity Journal 20 (1999): 100-105.
- Review of Darrel Bock, Blasphemy and Exaltation in Judaism and the Final Examination of Jesus: A Philological-Historical Study of the Key Jewish Themes Impacting Mark 14:61-64. Tubingen: Mohr, 1998. SBJT 4 (2000): 104-106.
- Review of Markus Bockmuehl, Jewish Law in Gentiles Churches: Halakah and the Beginning of Christian Public Ethics. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2003. SBJT 8 (2004): 105-107.
- Review of Jan Botha, Subject to Whose Authority? Multiple Readings of Romans 13. Atlanta: Scholars Press, 1994. The Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 40 (1997): 476-477.
- Review of Andrew Das, Paul and the Jews. Peabody: Hendrickson, 2003. SBJT 8 (2004): 114-15.
- Review of Dictionary of Judaism in the Biblical Period: 450 B.C.E. to 600 C.E. Eds. J. Neusner and W. S. Green. Peabody: Hendrickson, 1996. SBJT 4 (2000): 106-107.
- Review of Kurt Niederwimmer, The Didache: A Commentary. Minneapolis: Fortress , 1998. SBJT 7 (2003): 95-96.
- Review of Paul and the Mosaic Law: The Third Durham-Tübingen Research Symposium on Earliest Christianity and Judaism (Durham, September, 1994). Ed. J. D. G. Dunn. Tübingen: Mohr, 1996. The Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 42 (1999): 158-160.
- Review of James D. G. Dunn, The Theology of Paul the Apostle. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1998. Trinity Journal 20 (1999): 95-100.
- Review of Don Garlington, Faith, Obedience and Perseverance: Aspects of Paul's Letter to the Romans. Tübingen: Mohr, 1994. The Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 40 (1997): 474-475 and 41 (1998): 654-656.
- Review of Simon J. Gathercole, Where is Boasting? Early Jewish Soteriology and Paul’s Response in Romans 1-5. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2003. SBJT 8 (2004): 92-95.
- Review of Stanley G. Grenz with Denise Muir Kjesbo. Women in the Church: A Biblical Theology of Women in Ministry. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 1995. Trinity Journal 17 (1996): 114-124.
- Review of Rebecca Merril Groothuis, Good News for Women: A Biblical Picture of Gender Equality. Grand Rapids: Baker, 1997. Themelios 23 (1997): 89-90.
- "Standing for Life" SBJT 7.2 (2003)
- "Understanding the Controversy" SBJT 7.1 (2003)
- "Mentors in the Faith" SBJT 6.4 (2002)
- "The Foolishness of the Cross" SBJT 6.3 (2002)
- "The Impact of Francis Schaeffer: Faith, Hope, and Love" SBJT 6.2 (2002)
- "Marriage and the Family" SBJT 6.1 (2002)
- "A Unity Based on Truth" SBJT 5.4 (2001)
- "Foundations for Faith" SBJT 5.3 (2001)
- "The Perils of Ignoring Postmodernism" SBJT 5.2 (2001)
- "Evangelism and God's Power" SBJT 5.1 (2001)
- "Loving Discipline" SBJT 4.4 (2000)
- "Practical Christianity" SBJT 4.3 (2000)
- "Sovereignty, Suffering, and Open Theism" SBJT 4.2 (2000)
- "The Importance of Ethics" SBJT 4.1 (2000)
- "History Matters" SBJT 3.4 (1999)
- "The Hope of the Gospel" SBJT 3.3 (1999)